Friday, February 15, 2008

Super Bowl Fallout

I didn’t really care who won the Super Bowl as long as it wasn’t the Patriots.

I’m a Green Bay Packers fan and I figure whoever can go to the frozen wonderland that is Curly Lambeau Field in late January and beat the Packers in their own house is hungry enough to eat whatever the Patriots might be serving.

The day after the Patriots baa-lew the Super Bowl I chatted about the game with my buddy Johnny B. Johnny B. was just as happy about the Giants win as I was, but was a touch apprehensive about the consequences of a New York win.

Johnny B. was worried that the win might give the normally meek and mild New Yorkers some sort of chip on their shoulders.

I told him not to worry. The thing you have got to remember is that the New York Giants home field is in New Jersey. Matter of fact the Jets home field is in New Jersey too. How can you get too cocky when you have to go to New Jersey to have fun?

I also pointed out that the Jets now have ex-Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan running their offense. Other than setting a league record for delay of game penalties I don’t think Jets fans or the city of New York is going to be very happy about what happens with the Jets.

The Mets are another burden the poor people of New York must carry. The Mets suck, the Yankees are pure evil in pinstripes, and the Knicks can only get into a playoff game if they buy a ticket. I don’t really think the New York fans have that much to cheer about when you get right down to the facts.

Speaking of basketball Johnny B. was very excited about seeing Nebraska play Texas Tech. First of all I was a little surprised to hear that the University of Nebraska still had a basketball team.

Actually the big draw for Johnny B. was watching Bobby Knight in action, but Knight quit before the game. Johnny B. was depressed about not getting to see the three-ring-flying-circus that is Bobby Knight. To make my buddy feel better I threw a chair at him and yelled in his face that he was an idiot who needed glass.

I think it helped a little but it wasn’t the same as actually being there.

No comments: